I is for Ice-cream cake

I is for Ice Cream Cake

Ice cream cake is one of those lovely things which is so easy, once you have made one you are going to kick yourself that you haven't done this before. They are especially great for kids birthdays but can also be a very sophisticated dessert for a dinner party.

Here's an old post with my favorite recipes and the steps to make your kiddos love you forever :)

Ice Cream Cake 3/6/2012

Ice Cream Cake is one of those things that seems like it would be difficult to make, but is actually incredibly simple and incredibly versatile.

This recipe is for a 9" X 4" pan with a push bottom. Springforms work fine here too. The recipe can be adjusted up for a larger pan, just add on one layer at a time.

Grease your pan very lightly with a non-stick spray. I generally prefer the ones that are just vegetable oil, cocoanut oil is probably best for ice cream cake as the slight flavor wont clash with the cake.

The basic method is to line the bottom of the pan with a crumb crust (1/2 cup butter, 1 1/2 cups crushed cookie crumbs). Microwave 1 quart of ice cream on defrost for 1 minute. Spread it into the pan. Top it with whatever fillings you think would be fun, then freeze and repeat until the pan is full. If I am going to write on the cake, I frost it with regular cake icing in two layers.

Flavor combos:
Chocolate and vanilla with plain and cocoa crispies in between layers is our family birthday party standard.
Vanilla with mixed drunken berries in the layers and a ginger cookie crust; completely appropos for a swanky dinner party.
Chocolate and cocoanut layers with flaked toasted cocanut and shaved chocolate layers = icy .
 
Here is a link to the Martha Stewart website with recipes for some lovely and sophisticated ice cream cakes as well as some old-fashioned classics.

8 comments:

  1. Ice cream cake is by far one of my favorite desserts. I'll have to try to make one someday! -mikaylinrocks@ a to z challenge
    http://mypantherpride.edublogs.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could totally make this - and my husband would love it. I'm thinking chocolate ice cream and something Reese's.

    http://carolsnotebook.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, yummy. Thank you for the link and share.
    Happy A-Z'ing :)
    http://thewayofwytch.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum
    Nice to meet and connect through the atozchallenge. http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like to bake...technically though maybe this isn't baking? In that I'm not mixing up flour and sugar and butter and such....food for thought. Though I am a big thumbs down anything Martha
    Here through a-z
    oophs you forgot to turn off the hated captcha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice cream cake sounds good to me!

    Hope to see more posts coming for A to Z.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made an ice cream cake, but it sounds easy! I love to bake as well--just made chocolate-chip-pecan cookies tonight. :) Stopping by from the A to Z!

    ReplyDelete

No advertising for your weird cookbook please...or sex enhancement drugs...just no advertising at all...